Subjectuniform cdrom driver interface and cd digital audio
I've been working on porting WorkMan 1.4b3's CDDA support from Solaris to
Linux; Currently my 2.0.35 kernel has a hacked-up copy of the Solaris
CDROMCDDA ioctl in it, and it basically works. The problem is, I'd
rather do something "standard" than have a custom hack to make this work.

Problem: the correct way to do this involves CDROMREADAUDIO, but
unfortunately I want something which works like Solaris, i.e. reads the
audio plus the Q subchannel at once; Failing that, reading all of the
subchannels with the audio data would work, but having none isn't useful.
We end up needing block sizes as high as 2448 (2646 if we want to do CDXA
with error flags data, but it looks like CDROMREADALL will do that), but
these are all larger than the 2352 which CDROMREADAUDIO does. My
questions:
a) is there already a way to do this?
b) if not, it would be nice if there were; would the Solaris style CDROMCDDA,
CDROMCDXA, and CDROMSUBCODE ioctls be a reasonable way to approach this
or should something else happen?
c) or should this be a dev_ioctl for scsi cdroms only? can other cdrom
drives do it? the scsi commands 0xD8 (cdda) 0xDB (cdxa) and 0xDF
i'd try more but i'm limited to what i have on hand.

Any feedback appreciated; Thanks
-D

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.031 / U:0.232 seconds]