SubjectRe: Flexible Console open (really little patch)

On Mon, 17 Aug 1998, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> > I don't think so. It solves a problem at a very easy way and does not
> > hurt anyone. We support a few paths for the init program - why don't
> > be flexible with the path of /dev/console? (Specialy if there is a good
> > reason for: it's possible that /dev will be mounted later from a boot
> > script.)
> >
> > - clifford
>
> We support several paths for init for historical reasons only (early
> Linux didn't have /sbin.) If anything it should be supported via a
> kernel command line argument. This mostly sounds to me like bloat to
> support some more bloatware -- devfs.
>
> -hpa

But devfs will go in the kernel - so it is absolute sensefull to make
the usage of devfs as easy as possible. And it really does not hurt
to allow two diffrent locations for the console device file ...

- clifford

Clifford Wolf
magnet - Internet at Work IRC: efnet / clifford
Director of System Development http://www.clifford.at/
e-mail: c.wolf@magnet.at email: god@clifford.at

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.032 / U:0.736 seconds]