SubjectRe: Flexible Console open (really little patch)
Clifford Wolf writes:

> Hi Linus, hi Kernel Gang,
>
> I have a little patch here to make the opening of the initial console more
> flexible: It tries first to open /etc/console and after that /dev/console.
> The reason for this oerder is that one does not have controll of
> /dev/console if useing Richards devfs driver. Since /etc/console does not
> exist on most systems it will still open /dev/console on default. But if
> you use the devfs filesystem as /dev/ and you haven't enabled the "mount
> at boot time" option there will be no /dev/console and one can use
> /etc/console instead. On the other hand if you are using the "mount at
> boot time" option and you are not happy with the normal /dev/console you
> can override it useing /etc/console.

Can you be more explicit in what control you want from /dev/console in
the first place? Opening /etc/console seems like a hack to me. I can't
work out just exactly what you are trying to do.

Regards,

Richard....

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.063 / U:1.184 seconds]