SubjectRe: Cannot Compile Kernel in Slackware 3.5
On Sat, 15 Aug 1998, Irfan Akber wrote:

> I upgraded to Slackware 3.5 (2.0.34) and now I am facing problems compiling
> the kernel. I cannot compile kernel 2.0.34 that came with the bundle. I did
> the following.
> make config, make dep, make clean and then finally make zImage.

Ok, first of all make sure you have an official kernel tarball.

Remove the current /usr/src/linux directory.

rm -rf /usr/src/linux

Untar the new official tarball.

cd /usr/src
tar zxvf linux-2.0.35.tar.gz

cd linux

Now you should be ready to roll. The only catch is that you
ABSOLUTELY MUST have gcc-2.7.2 installed, and it must exist as

If you have egcs installed, and it gets invoked, you most likely
will not get a kernel.

Mike A. Harris - Computer Consultant - Linux advocate

Escape from the confines of Microsoft's operating systems and push your
PC to it's limits with LINUX - a real OS.