    SubjectRe: Patches vs complete tarballs....
    On Fri, 14 Aug 1998, Matti Aarnio wrote:

    > > > But either the linux-2.1.115.tar.gz at is slightly broken,
    > > > or I somehow managed to screw up a simple tar command (or the subsequent
    > > > steps - copying in the old .config, and make dep clean zlilo modules\
    > > > modules_install, after cleansing the makefile of SMP and /boot stuff.)
    > > >
    > > > So, as I said, it's not a problem for me, I'm just a bit puzzled that it
    > > > happened.
    > >
    > > After copying in an old .config you *MUST* do "make oldconfig"!!!!!
    > I claim different. 'make oldconfig' has exactly same dependencies
    > and actions as 'make config' -- and nearly same as 'make menuconfig'
    > and 'make xconfig'.
    > However the 'make *config' _MUST_ be done before you can
    > continue with anything else (even 'make dep').

    I save all of my config's in the /boot directory. When I want a
    new kernel, I do a "make menuconfig" then load the old config,
    and either make changes and save and exit, or just save and exit.
    Then do a make dep && make clean && make zImage....

    It's worked for 3 years no prob (well, since 2.0.0 anyways).

    Mike A. Harris - Computer Consultant - Linux advocate

    Escape from the confines of Microsoft's operating systems and push your
    PC to it's limits with LINUX - a real OS.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.021 / U:16.592 seconds]