    SubjectRe: CHALLENGE!!! =)

    Caveat: The PCI systems I work with and BIOSes I write do not support
    VGA devices in general, though I have had to deal with the occasional
    VGA chip. So...

    alex.buell@tahallah.demon.co.uk said:
    > Does PCI allows us to plug in say, two Matrox Millenniums, and use as
    > an unified X11 display across the two of the monitors?

    PCI allows one to map the address of boards from the BIOS, but the
    VGA space is a specific exception. A VGA device responds to the VGA
    area *in addition to any BAR regions it may support.* So, at least one
    of your video cards must support turning this area off. All the linear
    frame buffers are not a problem as they are managed through the BARs
    and can be separated by normal BIOS behavior.

    It's that pesky 0xa0000-0xbFFFF memory range. It is possible for some
    boards to have this range jumpered *off*.
    --
    Steve Williams "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    steve@icarus.com But I have promises to keep,

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:6.136 / U:0.020 seconds]