SubjectRe: [semi-offtopic] Linux 2.2 Changes ('really final' version)
Mike A. Harris wrote:
> On 13 Aug 1998, Chris Adams wrote:
>
> > If there wasn't a parallel port driver in 2.0, what do all of our
> > printers talk to? My printer hooks up to a parallel port, and I can use
> > it under Linux at /dev/lp1, so to me, there is a parallel port driver.
>
> >From your logic, one could conclude that 2.0.x contains a
> graphics driver because I can see graphics on my screen when I
> run X windows or SVGAlib applications. Therefore the kernel MUST
> have a video driver.
>
> 2.0.x has what is called "Parallel Printer Support". It is NOT
> Parallel port support, it is Parallel Printer Support. For
> example, a PPA ZIP drive doesn't work with this driver, nor does
> anything else, but a printer (or devices that behave as though
> they were a printer). There is no EPP/ECP support in 2.0.x
> either.

Guys, cool down! This is a nomenclature debate. Nomenclature is
arbitrary.

One camp says "the 2.0 driver drives my printer through the parallel
port so I call it a parallel port driver", the other camp says, "well
it only drives printers so you should call it a printer driver".

Sure. Let me say that par port/printer is often confused, and that
lots of people think of it as a parallel port driver. Technically they
are wrong. Let them be wrong.

Roger.

--
| The secret of success is sincerity. Once you can | R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl
| fake that, you've got it made. -- Jean Giraudoux | T: +31-15-2137555
- Custom Linux device drivers for sale! Call for a quote. - F: +31-15-2138217