    SubjectRe: Subject: Re: SMART-ide how???
    Ian Stirling wrote:
    > I mailed quantum in the past, asking about the meanings of the values
    > returned by SMART.
    > They basically said, piss off, we won't tell you.

    And nor should they.

    The SMART spec is very specific about requiring OS/application
    software to NOT interpret the SMART values, other than notifying
    of a possible problem whenever a threshold is exceeded.

    That way, each drive vendor can invent unit-specific measures
    that are most appropriate for the specific implementation,
    without having to maintain or worry about breaking a slew of
    software utilities.

    Ugly, maybe, but an okay way to do it.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.019 / U:0.504 seconds]