SubjectRe: Subject: Re: SMART-ide how???
Ian Stirling wrote:
> I mailed quantum in the past, asking about the meanings of the values
> returned by SMART.
> They basically said, piss off, we won't tell you.

And nor should they.

The SMART spec is very specific about requiring OS/application
software to NOT interpret the SMART values, other than notifying
of a possible problem whenever a threshold is exceeded.

That way, each drive vendor can invent unit-specific measures
that are most appropriate for the specific implementation,
without having to maintain or worry about breaking a slew of
software utilities.

Ugly, maybe, but an okay way to do it.