    SubjectRe: kill -9 <pid of X>
    On Tue, 11 Aug 1998, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
    > It' s not a kernel issue. If the X server run in iopl() and own the video
    > card, _it_ must care that everything will return OK when it' s killed.
    When one is killed one cannot care even if one had such intentions while
    being alive.
    > It' s possible using a X wrapper that run as root (not as user) and wait
    > for the child to die (once the X child is died the wrapper can restore the
    > text console fine).
    Well, what if you kill -9 the wrapper too?
    > The machine doesn' t hang.
    sorry - typo. I actually explained to someone else that the machine does
    NOT hang - it is just the display mode is left as graphics so I can't
    believe I said it myself.
    > Andrea[s] Arcangeli

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.018 / U:5.804 seconds]