SubjectRe: kill -9 <pid of X>
On Wed, 12 Aug 1998, Kragen wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Aug 1998, Jon M. Taylor wrote:
> > Yes, but the difference if the kernel video drivers crash, I know
> > where to start looking. If X crashes and screws up the video card, the
> > video drivers *could* be the problem. But a whole lot of other things in
> > the X server could also be the problem. XFree86 4.0, which has separate
> > video driver libraries, should help clear this problem up a lot though.
>
> The kernel is bigger than X,

Which doesn't matter a whole lot. The kernel is also a shitload
more modular than X, too.

> and harder to debug, too.

It is not at all harder to debug kernel code. ESPECIALLY with
device driver code that you can't use gdb to trace through without
breaking the driver. Have you ever done device driver development in
Linux?

> Have you read
> Unix for Dummies yet?

You need to drop the sneering tone, guy. It isn't necessary. I
could just as easily say that you should go read the kernel hacker's
guide. My mistake about being able to catch SIGKILL is a hell of a lot
less damaging to my arguments than that whopper of a first line you just
posted.

Jon

---
becoming one with God.'
- Scientist G. Richard Seed

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.118 / U:0.668 seconds]