    SubjectRe: kill -9 <pid of X>

    >> Can't be done. The card would have to be able to recover no
    >>matter where is is when it crashes, and that is impossible. X simply
    >>cannot crash during a critical section. Ever. It also cannot be
    >>interrupted by anything during a critical section. Ever. See my other
    >>post in this thread for more info.
    >
    >And see my post in the same thread on why you're wrong. Your
    >"impossible" isn't.

    You haven't really explained this though. Unless I misread it, you
    explained how the X server can protect itself against a kill -9
    from a non root user. But what happens if the X server crashes of
    its own accord and leaves the video hardware in a strange state?

    Yes, it's a bug in the X server that needs fixing, but surely it's
    the kernel's job to ensure that hardware is in a usable state
    irrespective of what's being done in userland?

    Tet

    --
    ``Live free or die; death is not the worst of evils'' - General George Stark