SubjectRe: Major NFS problems w/ 2.1.x
Theo Van Dinter wrote:

> I've been finding various NFS problems ever since upgrading to the 2.1.x
> series of kernels (I need the speed increase):
>
> from 2.1.115:
> nfs_lookup: toolif/csd_toolif_network.c failed, error=-6
> NFS: server boaz, readdir reply truncated
> NFS: nr=154, slots=4, len=12
> NFS: server ham, readdir reply truncated
> NFS: nr=155, slots=5, len=12
> NFS: server boaz, readdir reply truncated
> NFS: nr=154, slots=4, len=12
> NFS: server meshach, readdir reply truncated
> NFS: nr=155, slots=4, len=8
>
> boaz, ham, and meshach are all HP/UX machines (9.05 or 9.07). I noticed a
> section in the 116pre1 patch talking about readdir on HP/UX machines, but I
> haven't been able to test it (forced to go back to 2.0.35 on that machine so
> it can be used reliably).

The "readdir reply truncated" messages should be harmless. A while back there
were a number of problem reports of this sort from people using HP/UX servers,
and the current NFS client issues a warning and works around the problem.

IIRC it appeared to be a bug in the HP NFS server, and at one point I tried to
find an HP tech to look into it (but of course never heard back.)

(I'm assuming that your directory listings are being done correctly; let me know
if otherwise.)

> We've also (biggest problem) been noticing that there are either missing or
> added characters (nulls) in a lot of files (to various platforms (HP/UX,
> Solaris, etc, etc.)) (see attachment -- it's a diff snippet which shows the
> missing and additional characters. it's always in the pattern "add 2 nulls,
> remove 2 chars", and the offsets where the problems were (in another diff) was
> 0x1bfe7, 0x24fe7, 0x27fe7, 0x2cfe7 -- notice that the last 3 hex digits are
> the same in every case.)

Not sure what this could be -- is it repeatable with certain files or random? Are
all of the cases with one type of network card?

FWIW, I'm using 2.1.115 NFS every day in network-intensive operations with no
problems.

Regards,
Bill

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.059 / U:0.228 seconds]