SubjectIRQ trouble
Hello Coders and Gurus,

I'm currently having some IRQ problems in a vanilla 2.0.35 setup.
My new Adaptec AHA-2920 (using the future domain module) conflicts with my
Diamond Viper V330.

They both use IRQ9 and work in Win95.
When I tried getting the SCSI to work in Linux I experienced system
lockups when I started X.

The lockup occur when:
I load the module and then start X, when the videomode changes the system
hangs (hard reset is required).
Or when I start X, exit X and then insmod the driver (hard reset required
as well).

To be honest, I never tried insmodding the driver from an Xterm, but I
think the result would just be another lockup.

I traced the hang so far to a restore_flags()-call in the function
setup_x86_irq() in the file linux/arch/i386/kernel/irq.c
I haven't explored that call because of time limitations (read: only four
hours of sleep until I need to go to work again :-) ).

I know IRQ's can be shared, although I'm not sure about IRQ9, since it's
the cascading IRQ, but Win95 seems to have no problem with it.
Weird thing is, DOS also hangs upon loading of the SCSI-driver.

Is this normal behaviour, if so then why doesn't Linux warn me that the
IRQ is already used?
If this isn't any pointers on how to fix it?
Tonight I shall explore the restore_flags() to see where it hangs in
there.

Yeep

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.098 / U:1.104 seconds]