SubjectRe: idle priority
On Tue, 11 Aug 1998, Olaf Titz wrote:

> > - we want to change schedule_idle() to immediately replace a
> > SCHED_IDLE process when something else is runnable
> > - we want _long_ timeslices to maximize speed and to minimize
> > impact on cache/memory/etc. (say 1 minute)
> > - [for 2.3.x] we want a 2-level scheduling mechanism with CTSS-like
> > timeslice adaptation, a limited number of SCHED_IDLE tasks on the
> > runqueue and some other advanced features like a (small) secondary
> > idle task which only gets run when the first one takes a fault, we
> > will then remove the SCHED_RR feature too.
>
> We want that old "QNX-style" scheduler ported to 2.[123].
> It already has all those nice features.

However, the QNX-style scheduler has some irritating bugs,
notably process starvation.

I contacted the author about this and proposed a way to fix
this. Then the author said he was going to implement these
fixes (in a somewhat different way). After that, we lost
contact and I never heard/saw a thing about the QNX scheduler.

Sigh ... that happens with free software :-(

Guess I'll have to pick up the project once we enter 2.3 and
code the stuff myself.

Yes ... this is possible with free software :-)

Rik.