SubjectRe: DevFS vs. normal /dev (was DEVFSv50 and /dev/fb? (or /dev/fb/? ???))

Horst von Brand writes:
> Shawn Leas <sleas@ixion.honeywell.com> said:
>> On Mon, 10 Aug 1998, Horst von Brand wrote:

>>> How do you reference, say, /dev/fd0 if the floppy module isn't
>>> even loaded? You need to do that so kmod loads the module,
>>> as things stand now.
>>
>> Under /devfs, the /dev/fd0 is a link to /dev/floppy/0, so the devfs would
>> see the explicit request for /dev/floppy device, and send "floppy" to
>> kmod, and you can alias whatever module that would need to be loaded to
>> floppy.
>
> So you don't have lots of device files, but "links" for each possible
> device instead

Arrgh! No, quit assuming that Richard Gooch chose the dumbest
possible implementation. The whole thing is dynamic, including
any links. Forget the links: it works for direct access to any
device file too, even if that file does not exist yet. Read that
again if you need to. (you can open files that don't exist yet)

> (Note that I asked how you access a device that is _not_
> configured into the kernel; the module might even have been
> build and installed from third-party sources just before
> the reference)? Doesn't make much sense to me...

Well, it works. You don't have to understand it.

> That basic idea sounds just like a hand-managed /dev directory,

You have no clue. Quit trying to drag out individual explanations on
the linux-kernel mailing list. Read the source if you care to know.

> just very much harder to do since you have to screw around with the
> kernel each time you want to add something. Or a terrible mess
> in /proc/add-your-devices-here

Nope, you invented that.

Can we drop this? It is obvious that some people don't want to
understand the system, yet feel qualified to flame it.
I've yet to see an explanation of why it really hurts anyone.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.024 / U:0.252 seconds]