SubjectRe: [OFFTOPIC]linux + WIN98

On Mon, 10 Aug 1998, Michel Catudal wrote:

> bryan vold wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, Aug 08, 1998 at 03:30:55AM -0300, Garst R. Reese wrote:
> > > Hi guys, sorry to intrude on the wonderful devfs list :), but I need a
> > > favor.
> > > I'm buying my lovely wife a ThinkPad 385. It comes with Win98, but I
> > > want to wean her off to Linux. W98 is installed on 2GB partition and
> > > there is an empty 1GB partition. It comes with a recovery CD, but that's
> > > it. No chance for a custom install. Her primary activity will be
> > > writing, so she needs LaTeX, ghostscript, LyX, and X + Netscape for
> > > surfing. If anybody has experience with a similar setup, good or bad, or
> > > can point me to a FAQ or HOWTO, it would greatly help.
> >
> > Loadlin+Win95-HOWTO
> >
> > > Me, I have a 486 with 20Mb ram, all linux 2.1.115, so I don't know jack
> > > about W$
> > > My real questions are "will lilo work?",
> >
> > Not if the filesystem has been converted to FAT32. Use loadlin. I converted
> > to FAT32 before I read the FAQ. Make sure you read the latest versions of the
> > FAQ, I'm sure someone will start adding pieces for Win98. For now, basically,
> > you should be able to apply anything that applies to Win95.
> >
> > FYI, a couple of things. FAT32 is very fast, I like it when I _HAVE_ to run
> > Windows (experimenting with JDK1.2, for ex.) The script at the end of
> > Loadlin+Win95-HOWTO works great.
> >
> > (You CAN use lilo if you want to boot from floppy, -- even with FAT32 -- ...
> > Been there, done that. But it can be a pain. Lilo would actually be loaded
> > on the boot sector of the floppy. Technically, you don't NEED to use LILO
> > from floppy, it can boot a linux kernel directly, with the correct root device
> > configured with rdev)
> >
> > > Can I just move W98 to the smaller partition and have it work? I would have
> > > to trim it a bit, because all the shit they have loaded takes up 1.2GB.
> >
> > Don't know. Might be good to note that the floppies on the IBM Thinkpads have
> > a bizarre configuration. It was necessary in the past (at least with some of
> > the distributions) to specify a special parameter to the kernel so it would
> > recognize the floppy correctly -- something about lines being crossed or
> > something like that. There is a Linux on IBM Thinkpad FAQ --
> > http://peipa.essex.ac.uk/tp-linux/tp-linux.html -- but I don't know if it
> > addresses issues with Win98. HTH.
> >
> > -Bryan
> > --
> > bvold@uhc.com
>
> Partition magic would be the magic solution with the boot
> manager, no problem with win32 there.

I doubt this is an option in win98, since i've heard you cant boot to dos
from startup, but in win95 this works fine for me. A left-over dos
extention lets you define a startup menu in your config.sys and
autoexec.bat. I cant use lilo because of how my controllers are set up,
so i use loadlin. Heres my setup:

config.sys:

[menu]
menuitem=Linux20
menuitem=Linux21
menuitem=BeOS
menuitem=Win95

[Linux20]
# do nothing
[Linux21]
# do nothing
[BeOS]
# do nothing

[Win95]
device=C:\OPTi931\CDSETUP.SYS /T:X
device=c:\windows\himem.sys
dos=high,umb
device=c:\windows\emm386.exe
files=60

and my autoexec.bat:

@echo off
goto %config%

:Linux20
c:\loadlin vmlinuz.035
goto end

:Linux21
c:\loadlin vmlinuz.115
goto end

:BeOS
call c:\beos.bat
goto end

:Win95
#win 95 stuff here

:end

Its pretty handy since beos uses loadlin too. ;) Best of all i dont have
to spring for partition manager to make it work. If you need more
information about this, pop open a dos window and type 'help' and look for
the menu stuff.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.060 / U:0.300 seconds]