    SubjectRe: GSM short message from
    On Sat, 1 Aug 1998, Mike A. Harris wrote:

    > On Sat, 1 Aug 1998, Richard B. Johnson wrote:
    >
    > > > 40 characters or so, but capital letters generate codes that have
    > > > more bits turned on resulting in a higher draw on the UART. Many
    > > ^^____________
    > >
    > > (char) 'A' == (char) 'a' & 95;
    > > (char) 'Z' == (char) 'z' & 95;
    > >
    > > He was trying to save bits! Upper case uses less bits, so the BPS can
    > > be higher if your communications channel is bit-limited like the
    > > Micro$oft browser.
    >
    > Ahh, but everything is inverted on the phone line. A logic 1
    > (high) becomes a SPACE, and a logic 0 becomes MARK out of the
    > UART. If you measure consumption with a DSO like I have, you'll
    > see that it in fact wastes electricity.
    >
    > So yes, ucase ascii uses less "1" bits than does lowercase ascii,
    > however it is inverted out of the UART. Check it with a scope.

    We'll have to agree to disagree. In the absense of data, my modem
    transmits pseudo-random junk. Data are XORed into this -- except
    in the case of Micro$soft where there is no difference......:(

    Cheers,
    Dick Johnson
    ***** FILE SYSTEM MODIFIED *****
    Penguin : Linux version 2.1.111 on an i586 machine (66.15 BogoMips).

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.021 / U:0.324 seconds]