SubjectESCD configuration
Hi,

I've been fooling around a bit with the PnP-BIOS, and have finally
managed to figure out how to call it from a userspace program.

This is just a quick weekend hack, and I don't know when I'll be
working on it again, so I just thought I'd tell the world about it and
see if it's useful for anybody. Anyway, the sources can be found at:

ftp://rvs.ctrl-c.liu.se/pub/wingel/pnp/escd.tar.gz

I'd also like those of you who have some time to spare, to compile the
above sources and then run "make collect" as root (please look over
the Makefile and docollect script first to see what it is supposed to
do). This will mail me some information from your /proc directory and
the ESCD image so that I'll have the configurations from a few more
systems to look at when and if I start hacking on this again (I've run
the program on half a dozen machines so far without problems, machines
with and without ESCD support, but I can't guarantee that it won't
crash your system or mess up your ESCD config, so be careful). I'm
especially interested if you have a "strange" machine, for example one
with an EISA or MCA bus, or a laptop with PCMCIA slots or a machine
where you've had to use ICU to register an ISA card manually.

Btw, what I've done so far is to write two programs, escd_dump which
will dump the ESCD to a file (escd_dump -r filname) or write the ESCD
from a file (escd_dump -w filename, *WARNING* be careful), and
escd_parse which will take an ESCD image and try to make some sense
out of it). What I'd like to do is to write a program which can
modify the ESCD, adding ISA boards, reallocating resorces and so on.

Anyway, I hope this will be useful for somebody, and have fun.

/Christer (almost sleeping, but wanted to get this mail out
before going to bed. How come I always read
linux-kernel whe half asleep? :-)

--
If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?