SubjectRe: Layout/Setup of Kernel
On Fri, 31 Jul 1998, len weiss wrote:

> Hendrik--I agree with you. At least in my case I do
> not choose to download every change but, monitor the
> list to get a feel for the problems as they develop.
> So I may choose to miss a few versions until things
> settle down. Then I'm faced with downloading a 10M
> file. Getting all the patches and trying to piece
> it together is an iffy job at best.
> Cdroms are not up to date and get to be expensive. There should be a way to split up the
> kernel to contain the intel version, the m68k version
> etc. I can remember when I thought a 2M kernel was
> big.
> Len

I've dropped the CC to Linus - he has much better things to do
than follow these threads...

Getting all the patches and trying to piece it together is an
*EASY* job at *WORST*.

Assuming you have a kernel, lets say 2.1.98 for example. Lets
say you've downloaded all patches to get to 2.1.112 or whatever
is current. You just do the following:

1) Put all the patches into ANY DIRECTORY on your hard disk
2) Untar the kernel source (2.1.98) into the standard place
3) cd into the directory where the patches reside (wherever it is)
4) type "/usr/src/linux/scripts/patch-kernel"
5) Go get a coffee.

Then if you want to create a new full kernel tarball to retain
the new tree as it's current carnation, do the following:

1) cd /usr/src/linux
2) make distclean
3) cd ..
4) tar -zcvf linux-2.1.112.tar.gz linux/
5) Go get another coffee.

That is it.

Simple, no "iffyness" involved. Patching is very easy. I hope
that Linus eventually responds to these threads by NOT releasing
full tarballs anymore, and forcing people to use patches instead.

--
Mike A. Harris - Computer Consultant - Linux advocate

Escape from the confines of Microsoft's operating systems and push your
PC to it's limits with LINUX - a real OS. http://www.redhat.com

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.052 / U:0.460 seconds]