SubjectRe: apache no longer writes to the access log. NFS RELATED

Hi. Thanks for writing back. Yeah, not exactly what I wanted to hear,
but I understand that it's probable the smarter thing to do. It's just
that nfs is so convenient in my situation and I just think it should work.
I'm building redendant web servers. Basically a centralized filesystem
with web server surrounding it. The access logs do well on the shared
volume incase another server has to take over for a failed system.

> This probably isn't what you want to hear, but logging over NFS will
> never work well. NFS is a block oriented protocol - appending single
> lines is about the _worst_ imaginable type of traffic. If you have
> *any* way to avoid NFS logging you should do it.

One thing that I'm not sure I mentioned is that if I chown the access_logs
to the httpd user, it works fine, which is what confuses me. It's almost
as if nfs is somehow blocking writes to root owned files. Actually I have
no idea since I'm no where near a developer.

Thanks for the help. Feel free to let me know about anything I could
possible do to resolve this. I'd would still *like* to do things as
planned.

http://www.xxedgexx.com | jeremy@xxedgexx.com
| pgp available from:
| http://www.xxedgexx.com/pgp.html

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.024 / U:0.036 seconds]