    SubjectRe: Linux in Mondays NY Times
    Whoops.  I missed the original post on this

    > On Wed, 8 Jul 1998, Richard B. Johnson wrote:
    > > Worse that that. If you buy any Intel processor since the 8086, US$5.00
    > > of the cost is a license fee paid to Micro$haft. Micro$haft claims
    > > ownership to the "Intel Architecture", i.e., what used to be called
    > > the "IBM-PC/AT". They "purchased" the rights to this design from IBM
    > > sometime in the early '70s, waited about 10 years for major developments
    > > to be made by Intel and others, then threatened a suit. The settlement
    > > was a 5.00 per processor fee to be paid by the end-user.

    The IBM-PC/AT design didn't _exist_ in the early 70's, and even if it
    did, there's no way that Microsoft would've had enough money at that
    time to be buying anything from IBM beyond a matching IBM logo
    baseball cap and t-shirt.

    More importantly, the 286 processor hardware interface (i.e.: the pins
    on the CPU) are a direct progression from Intel's previous processors.
    The only person who could've supportably patented that design was
    Intel themselves. Of course, the US PTO is famous for getting drunk
    off their asses just before they review computer technology patent
    applications, so it's entirely possible, but not likely. So barring
    Washington, DC beer bashes, the only way that Microsoft could've bought
    the 286 architecture patents from IBM is if IBM first bought them from
    Intel. IBM certainly had the money, but Intel would've had to have
    attended one of those PTO biergartens to be dumb enough to actually
    sell it.

    All in all, this claim looks like total hokum to me.

    Jon Paul Nollmann ne' Darren Senn
    Unsolicited commercial email will be archived at $1/byte/day.
    "Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise." Proverbs 17:28

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.019 / U:10.052 seconds]