    SubjectRe: Linux in Mondays NY Times
    > On Tue, 7 Jul 1998 kwrohrer@ce.mediaone.net wrote:
    >

    > Worse that that. If you buy any Intel processor since the 8086, US$5.00
    > of the cost is a license fee paid to Micro$haft. Micro$haft claims
    > ownership to the "Intel Architecture", i.e., what used to be called
    > the "IBM-PC/AT". They "purchased" the rights to this design from IBM
    > sometime in the early '70s, waited about 10 years for major developments
    > to be made by Intel and others, then threatened a suit. The settlement
    > was a 5.00 per processor fee to be paid by the end-user.
    >

    > Cheers,
    > Dick Johnson
    > ***** FILE SYSTEM MODIFIED *****
    > Penguin : Linux version 2.1.108 on an i586 machine (66.15 BogoMips).
    > Warning : It's hard to remain at the trailing edge of technology.

    I never heard this story before...

    Do you have any references for it?

    Microsoft started with a basic interpreter for the Altair (I think) in 1974.
    They were a non-systems player until IBM contracted them to supply the
    PC operating system (which they bought from Seattle Micro [I think in about
    1980]).

    Their contract with IBM gave them intellectual property rights/redistribution
    to PC-DOS (which begat MS-Dos, which begat windows). One of the most
    enormous flubs in computerdom is the fact that IBM did not maintain
    control of MS-DOS (an merely used microsoft as a contracter).

    --
    marty
    leisner@sdsp.mc.xerox.com

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.019 / U:65.896 seconds]