SubjectRe: What is this ???
On Fri, 3 Jul 1998, jago wrote:

> Jul 3 00:20:27 SPICE kernel: a guy asks for address mask. Who is it?
>
> I just found it at /usr/src/linux/vmlinux
> other then that i'm clueless.
>
> can anyone shade some light on the matter ?

I had one of those a while back, and eventually traced it, but never
really understood it.

There's some ICMP thingy to get the address mask from a router or sommat.
If you read net/ipv4/icmp.c there are all sorts of comments about why it
should/shoudn't be implemented, and when we should reply etc. etc.
It ends up with:
* All these rules are so bizarre, that I removed kernel addrmask
* support at all. It is wrong, it is obsolete, nobody uses it in
* any case. --ANK
*
* Furthermore you can do it with a usermode address agent program
* anyway...
*/

static void icmp_address(struct icmphdr *icmph, struct sk_buff *skb, int
len)
{
if (net_ratelimit())
printk(KERN_DEBUG "a guy asks for address mask. Who is
it?\n");
}

If anyone has a more complete explanation of what these packets actually
are, I would be interested.

HTH.

--
Mike <rickettm@ox.compsoc.net>