    SubjectRe: Corruption Stats (fwd)

    On Wed, 29 Jul 1998, Mark Lord wrote:

    > This one is another SMP motherboard.
    > I wonder if there are any non-SMP reports at all?

    now i will describe some strange case which probably will not help resolve
    the problem, but shows how closely 'hardware bugs getting triggered' and
    'IDE' are related.

    i have an SMP motherboard with one DIMM that i know is from a shitty
    manufacturer. Now while another module gets shipped i'm using this module,
    and it's usually not causing problems.

    under very heavy (artificial) load, i can reliably make my system fail, it
    repeatedly fails to release a very important irq spinlock, causing a hard
    hang. The case where this happens is _always_ when an (arbitrary)
    interrupt hits us after ide.c's ide__sti() in ide.c:start_request().

    this is not useful to you, as i _know_ the RAM module is shitty (the
    failure speed is dependent on the temperature in the room, say late at
    night it fails only after 1 hour of stress-testing, at noon it fails
    within 30 seconds). The thing to learn here is that the IDE subsystem hits
    the memory subsystem the hardest way in this system. Yes i have a
    networking card too and a quite complex SCSI setup.

    i've been hunting this for 2 days (it was so reliably happening in ide.c
    that i suspected some software IDE problem), but it's the RAM module
    getting hit in a weird way.

    the system is a BX dual-PII, SCSI: 1x ncr875 2 disks, 1x ncr810 1 disk,
    IDE: PIIX4 _PIO_ mode4 1 disk. (2.1.111)

    -- mingo

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.019 / U:40.240 seconds]