    SubjectRe: minor patch for 2.1.111 fs/open.c
    Bill Hawes writes:
    > Richard Gooch wrote:
    > > Could this possibly be related to an ongoing problem I've observed
    > > with corrupted /etc/mtab files? As you know, mount(8) creates
    > > /etc/mtab~ with O_EXCL for locking purposes. I have noticed for a long
    > > time now that sometimes (say when stopping automount daemons) that
    > > /etc/mtab gets corrupted. I've looked at the mount(8) code and it
    > > appears to be doing the correct thing. It may be that there is a race
    > > condition with open(2) and O_EXCL (I have an SMP machine).
    > I think the stale dentry problem would be very rare, as it requires a failed
    > open and a dput() that blocks long enough for some other task to try to walk
    > the inuse filps list.
    > OTOH, checking to remount r/o is one of the cases that has to use the inuse
    > filps list, and this could be related to something with /etc/mtab.

    No, no. Remounting r/o is *not* the problem here. I can reproduce the
    problem if I just kill all my automount daemons, without bothering to
    shut down the system. From the corrupted /etc/mtab contents, it
    appears that multiple instances of mount(8) (called by automount(8)
    when it shuts down) are writing to /etc/mtab at the same time. So the
    /etc/mtab~ O_EXCL locking is not working.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.020 / U:17.532 seconds]