    SubjectRe: 2.1.111: IDE DMA disabled...BLAH...BLAH...

    On Wed, 29 Jul 1998, Mark Lord wrote:

    > The very few cases I have ever seen reported of "corruption that goes
    > away" when DMA is turned off, have thus far been totally bogus.

    Bogus me? :) This deserves some little comment.

    > I get a heck of a lot more email on this stuff than anyone else,
    > your godness included. The pattern is always thus:

    On DMA related corruption, I did report corruption. I did check the cables
    for each HD drive to see if they were following the specs. My (UP) CPU isnt
    overclocked. Fans are fine and clean. Nothing else is broken. hdparm
    didnt solve anything. I did change the memory, and when I thought the
    problem was gone.. wrong. Tried setting conservative values on the BIOS.
    Even changed the box to make sure there wasnt some sort of weird power
    supply problem.

    > 6. Since the final exchanges were in private email (reducing noise
    > linux-kernel), Linus never sees the resolution, and thus assumes
    > that Gadi and I are shitty coders.

    Well, thats a communication problem between you and Linus which shouldnt
    be happening IMO.

    > I have yet to see a case where turning off IDE DMA
    > actually cures a disk corruption problem.

    Here. I bet my head I can nuke my fs by running a kernel with DMA support,
    and in fact I know when fs corruption is DMA-like here. If something is
    wrong with this system, I'll be more than happy to know what. But right
    now I still think it's the SiS chipset (a working GA586S2, anyone?) but
    wont be able to know for sure until I change it.

    Again, if anyone has any constructive suggestion, please email. I'm not
    afraid of admitting I overlooked something (and actually don't know why
    one would be)
    --
    ____/| Ragnar Hojland (ragnar@lightside.ddns.org) Fingerprint 94C4B
    \ o.O| 2F0D27DE025BE2302C

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.021 / U:0.648 seconds]