    SubjectRe: Corruption Stats: Suggested Blacklist from the data

    On Wed, 29 Jul 1998, Alan Cox wrote:

    > Also I have an Ingo project - Ingo can you write a PCI bus speed measurer
    > for the kernel - is it possible.

    i think it's quite hard to find a generic method. On SMP it's easy, the
    PCI bus speed is half of the APIC bus speed. (and we already calculate the
    APIC bus clock speed)

    on UP it's hard as we do not have an APIC (or enabled). We might be able
    to measure the memory bus speed, but the multiplier between the PCI bus
    and the memory bus is not necessarily 2.0. (think 100MHz Super7
    motherboards, BX chipsets, etc.)

    so the only thing left is to poke the PCI bus directly and measure that
    speed. Unfortunately i have found no way to create some reliable
    nonintrusive transaction on the PCI bus that can be measured. maybe
    reading the config space takes some constant number of PCI cycles?

    > Quantum Fireball ST (2 times, both with other drives) on the cable also seeing
    > problems. Other drive was 'unknown' in one case '1.6 gig WD' in the other

    'ST' ? isnt that an SCSI drive? You mean Fireball xxxxAT?

    -- mingo

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.019 / U:1.668 seconds]