    SubjectRe: FS Corruption in 2.1.109 (fwd)
    Date
    > Oh, I mean: "Oh his machine".

    Ok

    > that 2.1.x defaulted to having CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA set to 'y', but in
    > 2.0.x we have CONFIG_BLK_DEV_TRITON instead (again defaulting to 'y'), but
    > when the name changed maybe something else changed too?

    Its less generic - but most people have triton chipsets if they have DMA

    > While the newer code seems to enable DMA whenever the drive reports
    > supporting it.

    Drive/chipset pair (obviously enough). But yes.

    > Note that it could easily be some other timing thing that triggers it.
    > Which is definitely supported by the thing that it seems to have appeared
    > at least for one person between 2.1.101 and 2.1.103 even though there are
    > no real changes wrt either disk driver or filesystem in those patches as
    > far as I can see.

    See the other message I sent when I did a summary of non SMP by drive type.
    For the uniprocessor case once I did that it was obviously drive firmware.

    So for the non SMP case I think its solved and Linus can have a small gold
    star. SMP alone has no obvious pattern at all (except SMP 8( )

    Alan

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.019 / U:0.784 seconds]