    SubjectRe: module name clash
    Date
    Kris wrote:
    > On Fri, 24 Jul 1998, Hubert Mantel wrote:
    > > Of course it's easy to rename one of the modules, but I think this
    > > is a general problem. Should we require module names to be unique even
    > > when the drivers are in different directories?
    > Yes. I suppose that breaking this situation would result in
    > complete mess in userspace utilities. I believe that the Right
    > Thing(tm) is just to rename one of the modules.
    >
    > You don't have to rename the files. (insmod -o ...)

    I don't think so. The way the kernel makefiles work, building two
    modules with the same name will attempt to link both of them into
    linux/modules.

    In the immediate situation that Hubert identified, there are two modules
    called "pt". One is a driver in drivers/block/paride and the other is
    a network module in drivers/net/hamradio. Probably one of these
    modules is going to get a new name in the short term - and somebody
    should arbitrate that.

    In the longer term, I guess we need a registry of module names like
    hpa's registry of device names and major numbers. Had we been aware of
    the pt network module, I would not have chosen that name for the parallel
    port atapi tape driver - and Peter would not have approved the choice.