SubjectRe: module name clash
Kris wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Jul 1998, Hubert Mantel wrote:
> > Of course it's easy to rename one of the modules, but I think this
> > is a general problem. Should we require module names to be unique even
> > when the drivers are in different directories?
> Yes. I suppose that breaking this situation would result in
> complete mess in userspace utilities. I believe that the Right
> Thing(tm) is just to rename one of the modules.
> You don't have to rename the files. (insmod -o ...)

I don't think so. The way the kernel makefiles work, building two
modules with the same name will attempt to link both of them into

In the immediate situation that Hubert identified, there are two modules
called "pt". One is a driver in drivers/block/paride and the other is
a network module in drivers/net/hamradio. Probably one of these
modules is going to get a new name in the short term - and somebody
should arbitrate that.

In the longer term, I guess we need a registry of module names like
hpa's registry of device names and major numbers. Had we been aware of
the pt network module, I would not have chosen that name for the parallel
port atapi tape driver - and Peter would not have approved the choice.

Grant R. Guenther