    SubjectRe: module name clash
    Kris wrote:
    > On Fri, 24 Jul 1998, Hubert Mantel wrote:
    > > Of course it's easy to rename one of the modules, but I think this
    > > is a general problem. Should we require module names to be unique even
    > > when the drivers are in different directories?
    > Yes. I suppose that breaking this situation would result in
    > complete mess in userspace utilities. I believe that the Right
    > Thing(tm) is just to rename one of the modules.
    > You don't have to rename the files. (insmod -o ...)

    I don't think so. The way the kernel makefiles work, building two
    modules with the same name will attempt to link both of them into

    In the immediate situation that Hubert identified, there are two modules
    called "pt". One is a driver in drivers/block/paride and the other is
    a network module in drivers/net/hamradio. Probably one of these
    modules is going to get a new name in the short term - and somebody
    should arbitrate that.

    In the longer term, I guess we need a registry of module names like
    hpa's registry of device names and major numbers. Had we been aware of
    the pt network module, I would not have chosen that name for the parallel
    port atapi tape driver - and Peter would not have approved the choice.

    Grant R. Guenther

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.028 / U:7.404 seconds]