SubjectRe: Boot logo ideas (oh not again...)
Date

> The logo could be used for a "friendly greeting screen". While in "logo
> mode", the console is divided into two parts at startup - the lower half
> is used to display the standard kernel and boot messages. The messages
> scroll within this text "window".

That's how it worked before fbcon in sparc ports - there was a one line
greeting message to the right of the logo. One could add there more lines,
but I think with some reasonable upper limit (4-5 lines).

The scrolling stuff on the other side is implemented by current fbcon (in
CVS and I think in 112-2 as well). fbcon, if it paints a logo, sets
temporarily a scrolling region, and resets it (if it has not been tempered
with), on console switch. Most of the init scripts start some getty
(mingetty etc.) at the end, and those getties usually do CSI r to reset the
scroll region, that means the logo is hidden at that time.
So, you can get rid of /proc/bootlogo and just wait till the console is
switched or somebody does CSI r...

Cheers,
Jakub
Jakub Jelinek | jj@sunsite.mff.cuni.cz | http://sunsite.mff.cuni.cz
Administrator of SunSITE Czech Republic, MFF, Charles University