    SubjectRe: 2.1.111 VM and low memory machines
    On Mon, Jul 27, 1998 at 03:35:56AM -0700, David S. Miller wrote:

    > If you want large windows talk to a host who speaks window scaling,
    > this is what it's there for.

    And how many internet hosts actually support wscale? I suggest
    somebody who can sniff a busy ethernet segment with lots of outbound
    connections do something like:

    tcpdump -n -s 128 'tcp[13] & 2 != 0 and not src net localnet and not dst net localnet'

    and see just how many hosts support wscale.

    In my tests, I find a little less than 7% of hosts support wscale.

    > Otherwise all bets are off for >32k windows. (I have real life
    > experience with the sign extension problems, I did try to enable
    > 64k windows without scaling by default once and I hit too many
    > machines which wouldn't talk to me properly)

    I don't doubt your experience, but I've yet to find a single host
    where this doesn't work! What stacks are broken in such a way?

    It might be my testing methods here are insufficient.

    > It's getting too close to the 2.2.x wire now for these sorts of itty
    > bitty things, let's work on the higher priority problems instead so we
    > can get a clean stable release out soon.

    Fair 'nuf.

    > (I'm soon going to be asking people to start reporting TCP performance
    > and behavior anomalies to me again, I just submitted a sync-up patch
    > to Linus with all my latest networking fixes etc. so when he releases
    > a kernel with that stuff in there, fire away)

    btw, I'm still seeing funnies with 2.1.112-pre2 and sucky
    performance.

    Oh, and when I sniff the interface, I get double packets for anything
    out-bound - anyone else?

    -cw

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.022 / U:0.400 seconds]