    SubjectRE: L68K: vt.c in 2.1.111 (fwd)
    On Tue, 28 Jul 1998 Andries.Brouwer@cwi.nl wrote:
    > In 2.3.x we can continue our holy wars _and_ find a
    > solution for the `my keyboard has more than 128 (127?) keys' problem.
    > Yes, such keyboards exist!
    >
    > It is easy enough to solve: instead of allocating chunks of size NR_KEYS=128,
    > we allocate chunks of size MAX_NR_OF_KEYS. Add an ioctl to get and set
    > MAX_NR_OF_KEYS, and all works again. We might do that immediately as well,
    > although I regard this as low priority.

    But keycodes are currently unsigned char...

    > **NOTE** The patch I objected against (because it is a bug, introduced
    > out of laziness, or possibly in order to rescue a buggy Debian 2.0)
    > has as side effect that the kernel loses this knowledge about a keymap's
    > origin, thus introducing a possible memory leak. This means that anybody
    > at the console can kill the kernel by asking for sufficiently many
    > new keymaps. On the other hand, it means that anybody at the console
    > can make the kernel free some memory that was never allocated.
    > In other words, we must not say `leave this for 2.3', but correct
    > things now.

    That's a GOOD argument! Sorry, I wasn't aware of this side effect...

    > [Maybe Geert can write the required patch, or, if he is too busy
    > with the console side of the keyboard/console system, I might do so.
    > Probably we can keep this to private email until we are satisfied
    > with the produced code.]

    As usual, I'm busy with a lot of Linux related things...

    Greetings,

    Geert

    --
    Geert Uytterhoeven Geert.Uytterhoeven@cs.kuleuven.ac.be
    Wavelets, Linux/{m68k~Amiga,PPC~CHRP} http://www.cs.kuleuven.ac.be/~geert/

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:4.650 / U:0.076 seconds]