SubjectRe: 2.1.111: IDE DMA disabled?
>> On Sun, 26 Jul 1998 20:32:19 +0100 (BST), alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
>> (Alan Cox) said:

>> BUT THERE HAVE BEEN REPORTS OF CORRUPTION WITH IDE-DMA FOR TOO
>> LONG, AND WE'RE READYING FOR A STABLE RELEASE!

>> And yes, Alan, it's trivial to get 10 times throughput
>> improvement by being buggy.

AC> Or just run FreeBSD, which doesn't seem to be having any such
AC> problems. The only known 'buggy' case we have is some WD
AC> drives, which are noted so on their web site according to one
AC> poster. But then our 2.0 IDE code destroyed older WD 1Gig
AC> drives due to a firmware bug in the drives anyway.

Indeed. I use UDMA on FreeBSD -current with some weird chipset (Linux
2.0 nor 2.1 could recognize it and thus hdparm -d 1 refused to turn on
UDMA) on a quite heavily loaded machine, without any corruption so
far. Using softupdates I read 12MByte/s (much more than my twice as
expensive fast-SCSI-2 disks).

I haven't heard of any FreeBSD user with such problems in UDMA.
I'm very pleased with it, my system boots at least twice as fast as
without DMA.

--
/\_/\
( o.o ) Peter Mutsaers | Abcoude (Utrecht), | Trust me, I know