SubjectRe: 2.1.111: IDE DMA disabled?
Date
> a) Drive quality. Quantum drives are very reliable, but this is not
> surprising since they worked with Intel to develop both DMA mode2 and
> UDMA. IBM drives are good, too. Don't know about the others. I have seen
> reports of entire batches of drives from Western Digital having
> problems, and at least one Samsung drive I tested would consistently
> malfunction under both DMA mode 2 and UDMA, even though it was specified
> as UDMA compatible. The same equipment with an IBM drive has been
> working flawlessly for a year, using UDMA.

Ok lets approach this with more data.

Andre - did you keep any of this data. Building a blacklist shouldnt be
that hard. It may well be overencompassing but it has to be better than
'dont do it'. Thats how you get the case where SCSI busses only run at 5Mhz.

Currently its

Western Digital *
Samsung [insert your drive here]

Linus what drives do you have reports for, and ditto the rest of the list
(again I'll collect and summarise]

Alan

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.277 / U:0.152 seconds]