SubjectRe: 2.1.111: IDE DMA disabled?
In message <199807262242.PAA29484@dm.cobaltmicro.com>, "David S. Miller"
writes
+-----
| Date: Sun, 26 Jul 1998 13:30:37 -0700 (PDT)
| From: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@transmeta.com>
| Essentially, everything I found looked more like timing changes,
| not like some fundamental bug. Which is why I'm suspicious of
| timing and hardware issues.
|
| This is precisely the sort of behavior I saw with my crappy WDC disk
| on my workstation. Some kernels would give me corruption once every 3
| to 4 months with DMA enabled, others would give me corruption once a
| day.
+--->8

Ouch. I'm tasked with supporting a few hundred Dells, all with WDC drives
and all running Linux (2.0, so far). And all with UDMA not only enabled,
but *forced* via hdparm because the users demand it and don't believe it's
already turned on.

Methinks I'm in trouble.

(Although, considering that we already have a strong dislike of WDC drives
--- "thwacketa-thwacketa" sound familiar to anyone? --- should this come to
pass we may be junking a bunch of crap drives.)
--
brandon s. allbery [os/2][linux][solaris][japh] allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
system administrator [WAY too many hats] allbery@ece.cmu.edu

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans