    SubjectRe: SMP no boot in 2.1.110
    Linus Torvalds writes:

    > On Fri, 24 Jul 1998, Matthew G. Marsh wrote:
    > >
    > > If anyone would like me to test anything - or could point out how I can
    > > reverse the boot sequence to test this hypothesis - I would be happy to
    > > try. Thanks!
    >
    > You could test it by just swapping the order of "smp_init" and
    > "check_bugs()" in init/main.c.
    >
    > However, to do that I suspect you need to disable the MTRR code, which had
    > some code in check_bugs (strange place).

    Ahem! It's in that strange place because mtrr_init() needs to be
    called after smp_init(). I originally had it in start_kernel() but you
    didn't like it because the MTRR stuff is i386 specific. check_bugs()
    seems to be the only architecture-dependent code called after
    smp_init() and before the init thread is started. Note that
    mtrr_init() can't be put inside smp_init() because smp_init() is
    conditionally compiled depending on __SMP__.

    If you move check_bugs() to before smp_init() then the MTRR code may
    well cause problems.

    I would be more than happy for you to introduce an
    architecture-specific function that gets called just before the init
    thread is started. I could then move mtrr_init() into that function
    for the i386 and not "pollute" the generic kernel code or make use of
    the check_bugs() hack.

    Regards,

    Richard....

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.019 / U:0.116 seconds]