SubjectRe: Kernel v2.3.x
Alex Buell wrote:

> I've been thinking about the 2.3.x development, I have some suggestions
> that might help make the code tree more manageable.
>
> How about splitting the kernel tree into separate .tar.gz files like so:
>
> 1) Linux-Core-2.3.x.tar.gz - contains the 100% portable core of kernel
> 2) Linux-Arch-<cpu>-2.3.x.tar.gz - contains the architecture specifics
> i.e Linux-Arch-ia32-2.3.x,
> Linux-Arch-ia64-2.3.x,
> Linux-Arch-mips-2.3.x ... and so forth.
> 3) Linux-Drivers-<cpu>-2.3.x - contains the drivers for that architecture
> ie. Linux-Drivers-ia32... you get the idea.
>
> The idea behind this is to make it easier for people to download just the
> components they want for their particular architecture, instead of
> downloading everything as at present for the 2.1.x tree. Then they either
> untar themselves or use a script to "plug" the sources into a complete
> Linux tree, and configure using what someone proposed (a database config?)
> earlier this year. It'd certainly reduce the size of the files people have
> to download, and even make it easier to cross compile kernels.
>
> Any comments?

This would tend to complicate things:
There are a few of us who have multiple arch's, my case being
PPC, DEC Alpha, Intel, M68k.

It is rather easy right now to download once and spread it out.
Diff'ing the respective source trees is easier at the moment than if
the source trees where only arch branches.

Generating patch files would be a bit of a pain.

Thinking on it more, this could really become a hog of a person's time.
As more arch'es are add I would tend to think that the amount of work
would not grow in a linear fashion, probably more geometric.

Are you volunteering for the task?

--
Terry L. Ridder
Blue Danube Software (Blaue Donau Software)

When the toast is burnt
and all the milk has turned
and Captain Crunch is waving farewell
when the Big One finds you
may this song remind you that they
don't serve breakfast in hell
==Breakfast==Newsboys

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.223 / U:0.040 seconds]