SubjectRe: Memory Rusting Effect [re: Linux hostile to poverty]

On Mon, 20 Jul 1998, Raj Dutt wrote:

> Linus Torvalds wrote:

> > > Windows have been there, done that. And people decided they didn't like
> > > it and went to Linux. History repeats?
> >
> > Raising the bar has to be done. Windows issn't so much about raising the
> > bar, as of doing it _badly_ (and excessively, in the case of WinNT).
>
> At this point, ask ourselves.. is the role of Linux still in the rusty old PCs
> inthe backroom? Or has the OS gained enough momentum and respect to start
> to be commonly used in brand new, high end hardware. This is very relatedto how
> much the bar should be raised.

Keeping it running on rusty old PCs has a significant benefit, *if*
the programming effort isn't too high. When a system runs fine on low end
machines it will fly on high end machines. Inefficiences that are masked
on decent half-gig RAM machines are exposed and easily debugged on low end
machines.

I have seen this process work in the Apple MacOS world, where developers
keep around older/slower machines just for that purpose.

John Alvord

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.201 / U:0.148 seconds]