SubjectRe: I/O permissions for V86 tasks (Enhanced V86 Mode)?
From:  alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk (Alan Cox)

> > embedded in the entire task structure, which means that moving it out
> > of there so that it can be resized is going to be rather complicated
> > to say the least. I am positive that it can be done, but it is going
> > to have wide reaching implications and could have undesired effects
> > on other parts of the kernel.
>
> It depends where you put things. Nothing stops the TSS and inode map
> being at the end of the task structure. So you allocate a new task
> structure of the desired size. The only problem there is Linus 8K hack
> and the fact a 16K block is really pushing things harder in the current
> mm problems. You have to do this in advance too - trying to swap the
> kernel stack of a task is not a sane proceedure.

Well I understand about 50% of what you just said. I can see how it
could be moved to the end of the task structure to make things easier
for re-sizing, but I don't undertand the 8K hack you mention. Will
this affect our patch that allocates a full 8Kb I/O bitmap?

The patch we have appears to work fine for the moment, and we have a
ton of other stuff to get done before any of this stuff is going to
be available for general testing anyway. Hence I will leave it for
the moment and revist the issue again later when we get closer to
release.

Regards,

| SciTech Software - Building Truly Plug'n'Play Software! |
| Kendall Bennett | Email: KendallB@scitechsoft.com |
| Director of Engineering | Phone: (530) 894 8400 |
| SciTech Software, Inc. | Fax : (530) 894 9069 |
| 505 Wall Street | ftp : ftp.scitechsoft.com |
| Chico, CA 95928, USA | www : http://www.scitechsoft.com |