   Date: Sat, 18 Jul 1998 14:48:02 -0400
From: Bill Hawes <>

but rather to get 2.1 working properly so that it can
become 2.2. Solving the remaining memory issues, especially wrt
fragmentation, is a major part of this.

I think people with 8MB of ram will need to perform some tuning with
sysctl variables no matter what we do at this point. And as such, a
person with an 8MB machine can just simply disable the pgtable cache
entirely. And this is what I recommend we do instead of trying to
contort the liberation scheme to be "maybe a little nicer".

David S. Miller