SubjectRe: patch to trim page table cache
   Date: Sat, 18 Jul 1998 11:34:02 -0400
From: Bill Hawes <whawes@star.net>

#define pte_quicklist(thisCPU) (current_CPU_data.whatever)

This wouldn't change the code, but would help the human readers ...

I don't like this. If you didn't read the comment above the define,
what says that you'll read the name of the pseudo-argument in the
define?

And now we'll have pte_quicklist(smp_processor_id()) or whatever all
over the place, now someone will go "hey so I can probably go grab
quicklist entries from other cpus if I wany by passing their cpu
number..." ad nauseum.

Just leave things as they are. Sometimes when you document something
to clarify, you create a bigger mess than you started with.

Bill, for once, your plight to make the code more understandable is
flawed. Keep things how they are for this one instead of trying to
"cleverly" document it. ;-)

Later,
David S. Miller
davem@dm.cobaltmicro.com

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:1.506 / U:0.428 seconds]