SubjectRe: Linux-2.1.109.. preliminary code freeze.
On Thu, 16 Jul 1998, Linus Torvalds wrote:

>In addition, I've spent a large part of my day running with a 12MB
>machine, and low-memory behaviour seems to be reasonable. People who have
>been unhappy with low-memory behaviour should check out 109 and comment on
>it - the heuristics are fairly different, and seem to be better.

andrea@dragon:~$ free
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 31216 30556 660 776 1044 27920
-/+ buffers/cache: 1592 29624
Swap: 52412 1696 50716
andrea@dragon:~$ free
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 31216 30480 736 584 1044 27888
-/+ buffers/cache: 1548 29668
Swap: 52412 1732 50680

Between these two `free' invocation are been swapped out only some kbyte
of ram and this little swapout is enough to stall `free' for at least one
second (against the istantaneous free while kswapd is not swapping out).

I am running cp file /dev/zero at the same time of free (that is
pratically the same of open linux-kernel in pine at the end of the month,
with the addin that pine alloc the read data in memory and so it cause
again more swapout).

Stephen C. Tweedie has perfectly understood the problem though and I hope
he could make the aging more clever.

I can see a big improvement in 109 with 32 Mbyte when I launch a lot
of application at the same time and in general (I hope that it isn' t my
immagination since I have not benchmarked ;-). _Sure_ 109 doesn' t perform
worse than 108 ;-). So thanks Linus!

Andrea[s] Arcangeli

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.090 / U:0.212 seconds]