SubjectRe: Strange interrupt behaviour

On Wed, 15 Jul 1998, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Jul 1998, Gerard Roudier wrote:
> >
> > This perhaps _almost_ guarantees that you will succeed the allocation
> > _once_, but the problem is to _almost_ guarantee that you will succeed
> > _most_ of the time.
>
> No, the problem is to guarantee that you will always succeed under any
> reasonable load (it's obviously quite ok to have fork() fail with ENOMEM
> when we really are very low on memory).

[ ... ]

> I'd be thrilled to hear about results or better simulations, but there is
> a point where we can say "enough", as the emails on this are starting to
> hide more interesting stuff for me.

If you aren't convinced at this point, then you are probably unconvincible
at the moment.

Let me tell you that I am convinced that trying to guarantee more that 1
PAGE granularity allocation on a full memory system is a _very_ _broken_
approach.

BTW, I agree with you on the point that it is enough for this thread.

Regards,
Gerard.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:1.431 / U:0.628 seconds]