    SubjectRe: Strange interrupt behaviour
    MOLNAR Ingo <mingo@valerie.inf.elte.hu> writes:

    > are there any 16k allocations needed in RL? We need ~25 iterations to get
    > a proper 16k-goal swapout. Also, this is _worst case_, when the system
    > gets 'out of balance'. An NFS server doing a static rate of 16k
    > allocations/deallocations will keep the 16k pool properly populated. We
    > get only this worst-case scenario when we get out of balance. (which
    > probably means hard trashing anyway for a couple of minutes, so spending
    > CPU cycles to get it right does not seem to be a bad move)

    8K rsize/wsize NFS needs 16K allocation - because the network code needs to
    reserve some space for the headers, so the actual size of the skbuff data
    area is about 8K + 64bytes. The result is that kmalloc chooses the next
    higher power-of-2 pool = 16K.

    That is one of the main reasons why NFS sucks with low memory machines
    currently.

    -Andi

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.019 / U:89.776 seconds]