SubjectRe: wacky implicit swap idea
In message <E0yvRmL-0004iA-00@polymecca.com>, John Labovitz writes:
+-----
| that phrase `free memory is wasted memory' got me thinking: could that
| same philosophy be applied to disk space? as it stands now, i have a
+--->8
Bad idea:

(1) this requires a rather more complicated swap mapping mechanism than
Linux now has, potentially making page management slower;
(2) you could be in big trouble if something wants to create a big file
*and* something (maybe even the same process) wants to use a lot of VM.

OS/2 uses this kind of swap mechnism, and it suffers from both problems when
VM gets full, usually resulting in an instant lockup when swap reaches the
(configurable) limit on minimum free disk space and *always* resulting in a
major system slowdown once it starts using non-preallocated swap.

--
brandon s. allbery [os/2][linux][solaris][japh] allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
system administrator [WAY too many hats] allbery@ece.cmu.edu

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans