SubjectRe: Changing uid of another process?

Zachary Amsden writes:
> From: bofh@diegeekdie.com <bofh@diegeekdie.com>

>> I've got a large server which in the middle of its processing should
>> change uid if the client has provided a valid username/password.
>> Since the server is quite large and the clients username/password
>> combination is sent a long time into the session (sometimes not at
>> all), I don't want to run the server as root for obvious reasons.
>> This server can sometimes be used quite a lot and therefor it needs
>> a fast way of switching uid/gids.
> ----
> Hideous unnecessary contortions deleted
>
> man 2 setfsuid (linux systems)
> man seteuid (BSD systems)
>
> This mailing list is about kernel developement, not application
> developement. comp.unix.programmer would be a better forum

No, read what he wrote. He doesn't know what UID he will need.
He might want to change _all_ UIDs to "nobody" to reduce the impact
of stack overflow exploits etc. He'd like a _kernel_ extension,
which is an entirely appropriate topic for this list.

It is a reasonable idea too. Obviously the operation would
require appropriate privilege.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.028 / U:0.188 seconds]