SubjectRe: LM78/Winbond HW monitoring
Karsten Petersen wrote:

> On Sun, 7 Jun 1998, P.A.M. van Dam (Pascal) wrote:
>
> > Are there any more chips that do HW monitoring (temp, VCORE, fan speed etc)
> > that already have a driver for Linux. Maybe we should combine them.
>
> lm78: mailto:ronsc@informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
> http://www.tu-chemnitz.de/~ronsc/download/lm78.tgz
> (his real name in ronald schmiDT, with `DT` instead of `T`, so the other
> mailaddress was wrong)
>
> acops: mailto:kapet@informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
> http://www.tu-chemnitz.de/~kapet/h/coding/acops.tgz
> (acops is the system used on gigabyte boards)

I think it would be good to have some kind of standard way to access
this kind of devices. This should also include watchdogs.

If they use the same input/ouput via proc it is much easier to use this
information with mon and/or linux-ha.

Something which simple to parse like:

/proc/monitor/lm78:
Sensor-1-Temp 50 C
Sensor-1-Fan 4000 RPM
core 2.8 V
cpu 3.5 V

damian

btw: does anybody know what kind of monitor/watchdog the Dell PowerEdge
Servers (epspecially the low end ones 2200/2300) use ?
--
Christof Damian
Technical Director