    SubjectRe: UNBELIEVABLE linux story!

    > On 5 Jun 1998, Petr Konecny wrote:
    > >I use this method for transporting data between linux systems. I simply
    > >unmount all partitions of the hard drive. Then I run hdparm -Y to turn
    > >the disk off (this usually prevents it from generating interrupts). And
    > >finally I use ide_unregister function to remove ide driver that manages
    > >the drives on the cable. I do not have any other device on the same
    > >cable, so this does not hurt. Then I simply remove the harddrive. Of
    > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    > That could broke your hardware. You can' t be sure that all the pins of
    > the IDE cable are connected at the same time, also there could be static
    > currents and ground problems...

    By "does not hurt" I meant that it does not stop any disk other than the
    one to be removed. However I agree that this method is dangerous and
    that by using it you also probably void warranty.

    Petr

    Petr Konecny <pekon at fi.muni.cz> http://www.fi.muni.cz/~pekon/
    PGP Key ID: 1024/FDD85DBD
    Key fingerprint = 8B 1A D4 39 50 20 A1 DB AF 03 2A 53 9E 2D 9D 1B

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.022 / U:92.396 seconds]