SubjectRe: >256 ptys (previous subject line was garbage)
From
   Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 12:59:59 +0200 (MET DST)
From: Peter Svensson <petersv@df.lth.se>

I am not familiar with the reasons for using major/minor-pair for
locking so I don't know if another solution is feasable. Do you have
any pointers for additional reading? :-)

The problem is things like /dev/modem being a symlink (or perhaps even a
hard link) to /dev/ttyS0. So it would be useful to use a lockfile that
includes the major and minor device number, in addition to using a
lockfile that is based on the device name. The basic idea is that
people want to have different device names to refer to the same device,
so we need to lock based the major/minor devices.

- Ted

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.074 / U:0.220 seconds]