SubjectRe: More info on 104 oops [probably procfs bug]
Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

> Did you remember if your shall was leaving in /proc/parport while you
> rmmoded parport? If so this is a procfs bug that I reported some time ago
> and it' s reproducible from evey module that register a directory
> somewhere in /proc.

Hi Andrea,

Quite a while back I added a mechanism to /proc so that modules can have
their use counts incremented when a /proc directory is being referenced. This
prevents the problems with having a module removed while a shell or other
application is sitting in the module's /proc directory.

The way it works is that the module defines a fill_inode function that gets
called when an inode is used or unused by /proc. This function then
increments or decrements the mod use count as appropriate.

See the binfmt_misc modules for details ... it's easy to add support, just a
few lines of code. But since /proc does provide the support for use count
callbacks, any bugs due to modules being removed prematurely should be
attributed to the module, not to /proc.