    SubjectRe: More info on 104 oops [probably procfs bug]
    Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

    > Did you remember if your shall was leaving in /proc/parport while you
    > rmmoded parport? If so this is a procfs bug that I reported some time ago
    > and it' s reproducible from evey module that register a directory
    > somewhere in /proc.

    Hi Andrea,

    Quite a while back I added a mechanism to /proc so that modules can have
    their use counts incremented when a /proc directory is being referenced. This
    prevents the problems with having a module removed while a shell or other
    application is sitting in the module's /proc directory.

    The way it works is that the module defines a fill_inode function that gets
    called when an inode is used or unused by /proc. This function then
    increments or decrements the mod use count as appropriate.

    See the binfmt_misc modules for details ... it's easy to add support, just a
    few lines of code. But since /proc does provide the support for use count
    callbacks, any bugs due to modules being removed prematurely should be
    attributed to the module, not to /proc.

    Regards,
    Bill

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.019 / U:30.568 seconds]